Sunday, January 02, 2011

Fun with water balloons and camera ...


You all might have seen those wonderful pictures of water balloon bursting, no ?

Ever wonder how tough actually it is to take a picture of it?

I tried my hands on that, and boy o boy, isn't that difficult !

Things needed:
  • Water :-)
  • Balloons, lots of them
  • Some thing to tie the balloon
  • A needle
  • And lots of bright light on Balloon
  • And of course a super fast lens.

So, I set out on a bright afternoon, with intent of shooting an awesome pic of water balloon bursting.

Here is my set up :



First few attempts went down the drain :(



Then few came pretty close, but no luck :-(



Almost there :


Oh my, so close yet so far !!


Finally one pic I am proud of (sorta ...) --




Yay !! You can even see the bit of balloon flying off !

Little technical stuff:

I couldn't use remote to click the pic. There is a delay of 2 seconds between me clicking the remote and shutter actually firing, it's ridiculously tough to sync shutter and balloon bursting.

Also, I didn't want some one else to burst the balloon. Hey I want all the credit, alright ?

So, I used the delayed self timer to click and sync the balloon bursting. I totally burst some 9-10 balloons to get the pic somewhat okay.
  • Camera used: Canon EOS 450 D
  • Lens : Canon 50 mm f1.8 (Fastest lens I have)
  • Shutter speed: 1/1000 of sec
  • I shot in Shutter priority mode.

That's all folks !

:-) let me know what you think !


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome dude...

Dhana said...

absolutely brilliant. and explained with such simplicity. simply too good.