Friday, June 15, 2007

Ahh... Movies

Lately I've been staying very late in office.
I'll go home at around 12-1 in the morning, then catch a movie in Zee Studio . ( I understand I have no life. You don't have to say it that loud :p )
 
Surprisingly, there were a lot of good movies!!!
 
OK let me first tell ya, my definition of good movie varies substantially from the general definition of "good movies".
 
I tend to like dark themed movies, mostly on death, troubled relationships, fear,war etc etc, AKA boring, You get the idea, right?
 
Here are few movies worth watching. Few of them are quite old movies and as I just observed, most of them won/nominated for Academy awards.
 
Disclaimer: These movies might disturb you very much. Watch at your own risk :)
 
MIDNIGHT EXPRESS : one hell of a movie, apparently inspired by a true story. Story of a young man who got caught in Turkey while trying to smuggle drug to US of A, then thrown in to Prison. Tag line says "Walk into the incredible true experience of Billy Hayes, and bring all the courage you can! ", which is pretty much true. You might actually cry. I didn't. Really.
 
The Squid and the Whale : Tag line of the movie - "Joint Custody Blows", so by now you know pretty much about the movie. Some scenes are very disturbing. Some great acting.
 
The Motorcycle Diaries : Story of Che Guevara . Most of the conversation was in Spanish, luckily movie had the subtitles. Simply put, Awesome!!!
 
The Killing Fields : Oh man, I was blown away. Story of Journalists who are in Cambodian war, their struggle to come back to their home country, and much more. You would probably feel happy for the "peace" that we have around us.
 
Okay, just one more.
 
K-PAX : Okay, the only movie that is on a lighter side. Kinda funny. This guy claims he is from a distant planet. This doctor tries to find what exactly went wrong with him. At one point of movie, I was literally cursing the doc for his questions. I was convinced that the guy is actually from a planet, far away!!!
 
That's it for now. If you can think of any other movies, in line with these kinda movies, let me know.
 
Oh I saw French Kiss. Again. I just love Meg Ryan in that movie. :)

4 comments:

Harsha S Rao said...

Check this out: http://mayuresh-parab.blogspot.com/2006/11/credits-starers.html And especially the comments!

** Sri Harsha Maiya ** said...

Wow!!! That's a good list of movies!

Let me see if I can watch them!!

Anonymous said...

I have heard alot of good things about The Motorcycle Diaries, but I have not seen it yet. I may try and watch it soon.

By the way, you may like Children of Men based upon how I perceived your description of what types of movies you liked.

** Sri Harsha Maiya ** said...

Sure... i will try seeing that...