Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Road to ThoughtWorks ...

** Warning: This is a long post :) **
 
All I did was to drop my resume to work@thoughtworks.com.
 
How did I know there was on opening?
 
I found the ad for job here, thanks to Joel's Job portal. I have subscribed to that job portal, through Google Reader. (By the way, if you don't use Google Reader, shame on you :P, same goes if you don't read Joel).
 
I never really thought they would respond back. Though my profile almost suits their job description, I didn't have complete 2 years of experience (still don't have, I will complete 2 years in IT in other 3 days!!!! )
 
For another 10 days, nothing happened.
 
Then one fine morning at around 10 AM, while I was still in bed (Blame it on night shifts :p), HR from ThoughtWorks called up.
She asked if I am actually interested in ThoughtWorks, my area of expertise, my current/expected CTC etc.
 
And if I was okay with a telephonic interview on the same day.
 
Same day,at around lunch time, I had a telephonic technical interview.
 
Most of the questions revolved around my current project, Test Automation, Testing Tools, different applications I worked etc. ( I applied for Test Automation job)
 
Overall it was all good.
 
Same day evening HR called up, asking if I could come to ThoughtWorks office. I was more than happy to say Okay :) AND she forewarned me that it will be quite a long process.
 
I had a gap of 3 days, 3 days in which I used Google more than ever in my life!!!
 
I came to know a lot about ThoughtWorks, Interview process, ThoughtWorks blogs, their OpenSource stuff etc etc.
 
Then the D-Day !!!
 
There were totally 4 rounds. The famous written rounds (two) and couple of face-to-face interviews.
 
Written rounds were okay, but interviews were not that easy (My big Mouth!!!).
 
Though they made me feel comfortable, the sight of ThoughtWorks office itself was kinda shock to me !!!!!  (Check this photo of ThoughtWorks Bangalore office!!!!! )
 
Oh how I can forget to mention!!! Free yummy Lunch!!!
 
The next day, HR called again. I had made it through!!!
 
No, I still haven't started working there. I will be joining ThoughtWorks on July.
 
Couple of things about the interview:
It was mostly on the Test Automation frameworks, Choice of tools etc. It seems they just ask anybody available at that time to take interviews. I am not really sure, I might be totally wrong.
In one of the rounds, they asked if I had any questions. Boy!! I asked around 10-12 questions I guess!! Mostly on their contributions to OSS, agile/XP methods etc. They were more than happy to explain all that to me.
 
Okay, If you have an interview at ThoughtWorks tomorrow, and you are looking for some clues about the written rounds and interview, here is a link in Joel's discussion forum. Read completely, you will get an idea about the process.
 
Right now, I am all excited about joining ThoughtWorks. I hope I get to learn a lot of stuff.  A LOT.
 
********************************************
When I actually decided about job change, I had no idea about the kind of company I was looking for.
 
I wasn't keen joining any other service based company. Not that I have anything against them, I have enough experience in that line of software development till now. But, my current work experience was not helping much either to look for any product based company.
 
I am just plain lucky that ThoughtWorks posted their ad in Joel's India Job Portal.
I am just plain lucky that I use Google Reader and subscribe to that portal.
I am just plain lucky that, that day I read that ad, instead of clicking on "mark all as read"
I am just plain lucky that I have a sensible Resume. Thanks to you Mart!!!
 
Hopefully, the Doc at the hospital where I need to go through a medical test, doesn't reject me saying I am anaemic !!!!!!!!!!
 
********************************************
 

5 comments:

Harsha S Rao said...

Well written! And congrats!

** Sri Harsha Maiya ** said...

Hi Harsha,

Thank you!!

ragh said...

Excellent description. Congrats. So did you start working with Thoughtworks now? I am doing home work for the QA interview with Thoughtworks. Any ways, Good luck and Congrats once again.

** Sri Harsha Maiya ** said...

Hi Raghavendra,
Thanks !!!


Yes, I've started working in ThoughtWorks ...

All the Best!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Harsha,

Nice post. I just finished two rounds of interview. One for HR and another from head of testing. I think I did OK but I need to hear back from them. I worked in Google as an SET before and I am wondering if the TW interview process for Test Consultants has changed since you joined? What kind of questions do they typically ask during the face-to-face interviews?

Thanks
AS